Saturday, February 10, 2007

Here goes

This is our first posting and as I write I am doing so quickly because Cecelia Rose- aka Chickpea, aka Ceci (Italian for chickpea)- nicknames we haven't started using for her yet but anticipate using some time soon, is crying her little heart out up in her crib. We have been trying to get her to take naps and go to sleep at night on her own, and it is painful. We are making noticeable progress, but it is soooooo hard. I go up to comfort her and shush her every few minutes, but don't know if that is helpful or harmful. She seems to then remember all over again why she should be upset, and work up into a bigger lather than before I came in. Sigh. Our first big challenge of parenthood. Luckily, I have nothing at all to do today except mother. Too often I have been filling up my days with other things to do. Which is why, no doubt, I have not had the focus or time to help her fall asleep on her own. Or, is it just not right, not natural, not compassionate, to 'make' her go to sleep by herself at the age of 5 months? I am learning that no one has that answer, definitively.

3 comments:

The Zoos said...

I see that Ceci also loves the computer. Leo loves Apple's trailers for movies like Happy Feet. Soon she won't let you sit on the computer without holding her on your lap!
Leo/Tim

Lauri said...

Hi Sheela,

You are literally hard wired to wince when Cece cries. It probably almost feels like a physical pain. I think there's no right answer really to what to do about sleeping. I say, go with what your gut tells you because I think we're hard wired for the right answer too. What did mothers do in New Guinea?

I miss seeing you but I SO support you in being with your little chick pea.

Looking forward to seeing you soon. Say hi to my boss Jeff at CADCA.

Lauri Turkovsky

South Berkshire Youth Coalition said...

Sheela,
This is so cool! I agree with Lauri - there are no "right" answers, everyone is going to tell you what worked for them - you are going to just have to find what works for your own little family. Just make sure that your little chick pea doesn't control the household (remember - you're the parents). :) Shelley