Friday, March 2, 2007

To bouncy bounce or not to bouncy bounce

Here we are about a week ago. Everyone gets very nervous when I put her on my shoulders but it is the only opportunity Cece gets to pull Mommy's hair. How could I deny her that pleasure? Someone said that her laugh was just masking the abject terror she was really feeling up there, but I think that is overanalyzing, don't you? If it looks and sounds like a laugh, it probably is.

Here is the source of our latest quandary. We bought this 'jumpster' at Babies r Us last weekend as a result of many recommendations from well-respected moms. Cecelia loves it, we love watching her in it, case closed, right? Well....I told my Italian class about our fun with the jumpster and several of my students gave me an immediate and forceful earful. " I work with kids every day and I can't tell you how many kids end up with back problems because of those things." Apparently, and this makes sense, since Cece is not ready to bear weight, forcing her to do so in the jumpster ( for long, extended periods I would imagine) causes some bones not to fuse properly ad leads to subsequent problems. So I went home and glared at the empty seat hanging menacingly in the doorway for awhile and tried to find some information in my baby books and online about it. Conclusion: I am ok with using it as long as Cecelia does not sit in there for long periods of time or for more than about an hour a day. Any other thoughts out there about it?

2 comments:

The Zoos said...

I have never heard of the jumper problem. But there are SO many opinions out there, you are bound to find a million different ones. I think your intuition is correct, let her enjoy it but not too much. I am sure she will be fine

Shelley said...

Moderation is always the key. All four of my kids bounced in the bouncy and not one of them has leg problems.